“Welcome Week was amazing! I was so anxious and worried about starting university as a mature student. One of the first events I attended was the Student Parents’ event. I met so many other mature students that have children and I knew right then that I wasn’t the ‘only mummy on campus’.”
“Over the week I attended a few coffee mornings, did a football taster session (I had high hopes of starting a new sport!), met some amazing people at a barbeque for mature students and even managed to squeeze in a night out. I made new friends from all different courses during Welcome Week that I know I will stay in contact with for a very long time.”
- Your course induction is vital, but so is meeting new people, finding your feet and getting to grips with your campus.
- Welcome Week can be overwhelming, so take time to step back and let the experience sink in.
- Try something new: a sport, a society, a trip or tour, a different type of coffee……we don’t get many chances in life to explore and experiment so make the most of it!
- No matter what age you are, university is for everyone!
- My most important message is never feel alone! The University and Students’ Union have amazing help and support teams. We have students that run events, meetings and socials for mature students and students with caring responsibilities. A worry shared is a worry solved, and talking to other mature students and student parents during Welcome Week really made a big difference for me.
- The pre-Welcome Week bridging event for student parents and carers
- The Mature Students Barbeque, and other events for mature students such as nights out and coffee meet ups.