I was very nervous about starting University as it was a brand new experience for me, living away from home for a long period of time. I thought that there would be nothing for me to attend as I do not like crowded places or drinking. But there were plenty of events that I got involved in.
Welcome Week is such a great opportunity not only to meet new people but also try out new experiences such as sports or going out with your new flatmates to get to know who you will be living with for the next year or more.
- 100% attend your course induction week and lessons. This is a great opportunity to meet your lecturers who are going to be teaching you and the students who you will potentially spend the next 3 years with. Also just to get a taste of the modules that you will be doing and what support the University offers you when you need it.
- Read through the list of events that are happening during Welcome Week and get involved with as many as you can.
- Join your Facebook course and halls pages if you have not done so already.
- The City Tour, I was not from Nottingham and only came here for the open day so did not have time to explore and did not know where anything was. This tour helped so much to know where the basics are around the city centre.
- Ghost Walk, this was so good. It was a small group of people that went and even though it was just for one evening, I still talk to those students now and we have gone to other events with one another since then.
- Comedy Night, this was one of the events that I went to with my flatmates and was a good bonding session for us as we all had different personalities. Some liked drinking and some did not, so this was a good opportunity for us all to get to know each other over stand-up comedy and some food.